Thursday, April 16, 2009

Bribery?? ME??!!?!?

Ok, well, maybe just a little.

Here's the deal: For the Nike Women's Marathon, I have committed to raising $2,925. That's a lot of money, especially in this day and age of our craptastic economy.

So.....I want to throw in a little incentive for you to donate! For the next seven days, everyone who donates will receive a special surprise from me. I'm not going to reveal what it is, because that's no fun. But trust me, your act of donating will not go unsung.

The thing is, I strongly believe that fundraising is not a four-letter word. Lately, however, I feel like I'm raking my fingernails against a chalkboard every time I invite people to donate to this cause. And believe me, I've been on the other side of it as well. "If I have anything leftover after paying bills I'll donate" or how about "I get paid next week, I'll do it then".....and 'then' never seems to come.

For the Nike team this year, we aren't mentors but Captains- we have Team Captains and Mission Captains. Team Captains will be assigned a group of participants and help them fundraise and try to enhance their experience as a Team in Training Teammate. They plan group fundraisers, help the coaches with random tasks (or odd jobs), and attend the weekly clinics for fundrasing, nutrition, etc. Mission Captains are there (training right with us) to enhance the mission experience- to bring mission moments and create a long lasting relationship with our honored teammates. They cultivate our cause and remind us of why we're doing this- something I'm sure will come in handy when we're running 20 miles in the 100+ degree heat.

ANYWAY (I hope you're still with me!!)- I am a Team Captain and I really want to be there for my mentees as much as possible. The sooner I reach my goal, the sooner I can focus my FULL attention on my teammates. This is where you come in and where I would be so thankful for any donations that come in. ::trying not to sound like I'm begging::

I reached my goal so quickly last season and would love to achieve that again. Your support has been nothing short of amazing and inspiring- it feels so great to know that people are here to cheer me on through the highs and lows. Imagine how thrilling it would be for me to able to do that for 7 or 8 other teammates! To be able to share with them the knowledge that we are all doing something (with you) to stop this (as Rick would say) bastard cancer. These diseases need to go away, and soon. With the economy the way it is, the government isn't giving out much funding in the way of new development and research to find cures, so it's up to us to provide the funds.

No amount is too big and certainly no amount is too small. Seriously, every penny counts. EVERY PENNY. This isn't a cheerful funny post, but it's an honest one. I really need your help. Please.

I'll step off of my fundraising soap box for now.

No comments: