Friday, June 10, 2011

Anybody Home?

I know.

I KNOW.

I'm sorry.

Here are my excuses:
1) I got into grad school and have been working my little running arse off.  Did I mention the program is at night and I'm still working full time?  Thankfully I have a summer break coming up and I'll graduate in December, but man.....I'm tired.

2)  Um..  Yeah.  That's all I got.  I didn't stop training, but I did scale waaaaaay back on the mileage.

I was talking to Todd about my apprehension about letting my training go, giving up my mileage base, and all of those running diva fears, when he reminded me that I ran six marathons in exactly 2 years (bookended by the Rock N' Roll Arizona Marathon, 2009 and 2011).  That really put things in perspective for me, so I figured it was okay to cool the running jets for a little bit and focus on some other stuff like, oh, I don't know, getting a Masters Degree?

So I decided to sign up for a Triathlon instead.

I know, that makes a lot of sense, right?  It seemed like a neat idea at the time (and it still does, to be honest).

So I joined the Y and started (trying) to swim.  Then I bought a bike and started riding (which I love). 

Man, training for a triathlon takes a LOT of work and time.  Not exactly what you would heap onto the plate with an extra serving of overtime at work with a side of grad school.  Oh well.

So here's the recap of the last 2 years' worth of races and times (as I can recall them).

January 2009: Rock N Roll Arizona- 5:11
Ocober 2009: Nike Women's Marathon- 5:05
December 2009: Las Vegas Rock N Roll- 4:35
March 2010: Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon (TNT Alumni Run)- 1:59 and something
June 2010: Rock N Roll San Diego- 4:30
October 2010: Mt. Lemmon Marathon (yes, it was up Mt.Lemmon- 6,000 feet elev. gain)- 6:09
January 2011: Rock N Roll Arizona- 4:10.  (I know, right? I beat 2009's time by an HOUR!)
March 2011: Arizona Distance Classic Half Marathon- 2:02 (but I was in a tutu)



Todd ran his first full marathon at the Rock N Roll Arizona and finished in 4:45.  I was SO PROUD of him!

And since Blogger has changed a few things, now I can't upload that picture....

Anyway, that's what's up, I'll be back more now that summer's here. 

My first Tri is on July 3rd, the Firecracker Triathlon.  http://www.tritucson.com/FCTinf.htm
I'm really looking forward to it, and hopefully I'll have some pictures to share!

1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

Hi Elsbeth - you know, I came within a whisker of checking your blog today, but then I thought, "Naw, the last 8-10 time I checked her blog it was not updated." So I didn't, and then a half hour later, I got the nice comment from you on my post about my sister's death. So it is cool that we were both thinking of each other at about the same time. Thanks for your kind words and prayers. I know that I will miss my sister until I take my final breath some day. Good luck in grad school, and congratulations for all of your marathons, and to Todd for his first. Good luck in the triathlon. I keep thinking I need to do a tri next year. All I need is to buy a bike and learn to swim. That's all. Enjoy the day. Art