Monday, January 12, 2009

6 days and counting

Tomorrow is our send off meeting/party, where we get our race-day jerseys and information for the hotel.

I will be arriving in Phoenix on Friday afternoon, off to the expo to change my corral #, then soaking it all in until Sunday morning!

Now is the time where I go shopping for "discard warm-ups"- clothes that I can wear while I stand in the corral an HOUR before the race starts and toss aside as we begin running and NOT care that I never see them again. Goodwill lines the streets the first few miles and collects the discarded items to take to their stores. Kinda neat, huh?

I can't believe it's almost here. It seems like only yesterday I called my mom and said, "Um, I just signed up to run a marathon". Now, almost 6 months later (I signed up on July 19th), I am checking "Run a marathon" off my to-do list of life. However, this isn't a one-time thing, I'll be running another one soon!

Let's just focus on this one for now, huh?

Oh, and Phoenix is going to be CRAZY crowded that weekend- Barret-Jackson is going on (you know, the classic car auctions you see on the Speed channel? Might I add that I REALLY want to go to this as well?), some NFL playoff game (holy crap, the Cardinals might go to the Superbowl!), and a marathon with 32,000 participants and even more spectators and volunteers. If you decide to enter Phoenix, may the force be with you.

More later,
E

1 comment:

o2bhiking said...

Elsbeth - I will be cheering for you from afar this Sunday. Today is the one year anniversary of my participation in the Arizona Marathon, and it was a blast. Go build great memories. You are doing a wonderful thing! Thanks so much on behalf of all survivors. Art

PS: I'm a huge Eagles fan, but even if we lose, it will be cool to have the Cardinals in the Super Bowl. You are right about it being busy, good luck getting a hotel room in Phoenix this weekend if you don't already have one!